2023 Pickens Christmas Parade General Guidelines Procedures and Restrictions
Parade General Guidelines
- The parade date is Friday, December 1, 2023
- Rain date is Friday, December 8, 2023
- Politician/Political Candidate – $45
Fee must be paid at the time your application is approved and is non-refundable.
- Parade entry applications must be submitted by the deadline date of Monday, November 27.
- Entries must observe all applicable parade rules and regulations, as well as follow all instructions from police and parade officials.
- All applications will be evaluated to ensure compliance with parade guidelines, rules and regulations. The City of Pickens and the Greater Pickens Chamber of Commerce reserves the right to reject any application based upon non-compliance with the parade guidelines, rules and regulations or for any other reason that is deemed not to be within the spirit of the Christmas Parade.
- The theme for this year’s parade is “Christmas Through the Decades” – Celebrate the history of Christmas by featuring floats and costumes from different eras, from Victorian to modern times. Each entry must relate to the theme in the form of decorations, costumes, lights, music, etc.
- This is a family-friendly event. No obscene or suggestive graphics or phrases may be visible on participant’s person or any part of a parade entry.
- In keeping with the spirit of the holidays, any entries striving to make a controversial or political statement will not be allowed.
- On the day of the event, the City of Pickens and the Greater Pickens Chamber of Commerce reserves the right to remove any entrant from the parade either prior to assembly, at assembly, or at any time during the parade if the entrant fails to comply with parade rules or does not follow standards of reasonable public taste.
- Parade officials assume no liability for any damage to floats, vehicles, or for any injuries or damage due to negligence of parade participants.
- Parade will begin promptly at 7:00 PM on Saturday, December 1. In the event of inclement weather, the rescheduled parade date will be November 30, 2023.
- INCLEMENT WEATHER: The decision to change the parade date due to inclement weather will be made by the Greater Pickens Chamber of Commerce no later than Thursday, November 30. If a change is made, the Chamber will notify all parade entries via email communication (please be sure an accurate email address for your entry is noted on your parade application). In the event of date change due to inclement weather, no refunds of parade entry fees will be issued.
Parade Formation Guidelines
- Several days prior to the parade, participants will be contacted by email with an entry number and assigned check-in time.
- ALL participants are expected to arrive at their assigned check-in time (5:00 pm – 6:15pm), but MUST arrive no later than 6:15 PM.
- Upon check-in arrival, participants will be asked to present their entry name and number. Your entry number must be visible on the RIGHT SIDE of your vehicle or float.
- The parade participants will line up in a designated area that will be communicated at a later date.
- Participants shall NOT exit the parade early and MUST ride the entire parade route.
- The Greater Pickens Chamber of Commerce will have final authority over positioning the order of parade entries, as well as the pace and movement of the parade in progress.
Parade Procession Requirements
- All entries must provide a sign/banner to identity their organization. Sign/banner should be neat and easily
recognized. Size of sign/banner should be modest in comparison to the entry.
- Since this is an evening parade, ALL entries must be illuminated in some manner.
- Band and music ensembles are expected to play music of the holiday season. Christmas music is strongly encouraged for other entries, although not required. Please indicate on the application.
- Marching/walking units should be in uniform. Flags or banners are encouraged for identification of group.
- Adult chaperones MUST accompany children participating in the parade at ALL times, whether walking, marching or riding. A ratio of 1:10 is a good rule to follow. This includes ALL times before the parade during check-in, set-up and assembly, during the parade procession, and after the parade during break-down and dismissal of participants.
- Please remember you are responsible for maintaining safety around your parade vehicle or float.
- Due to safety concerns for our parade spectators, candy cannot be tossed from vehicles or floats/trailers. Candy may be distributed by a walking parade participant who passes out candy directly to parade spectators.
- No literature or other materials will be handed out along the parade route.
- Santa Claus is Pickens’ featured guest. No participant may enter the parade dressed as Santa or use any representation of Santa on their vehicle or float/trailer. Santa hats are allowed.
Parade Safety Requirements
- Only forward movement by motorized vehicles is permitted.
- Participants are expected to maintain an appropriate distance between entries of at least two (2) car lengths. All entries are required to close the gap between units when ordered by parade officials.
- Candles or open flames are strictly prohibited.
- Required illumination for ALL entries will help ensure safety since the parade will begin in the evening.
- Participants are responsible for providing appropriate fire extinguishing equipment for floats with generators or other potential fire hazards.
- All participants must provide proper liability insurance for their parade entry and for all individuals participating in their parade entry.
- All participants operating motorized vehicles must provide proper liability insurance and proper vehicle insurance coverage.
- All drivers of any motorized vehicle in the parade entry must have valid driver’s license. must have a valid driver’s license.
- All participants MUST submit a signed Parade Application acknowledging the requirement to provide proper liability & vehicle insurance coverage and a valid driver’s license.